sábado, 4 de agosto de 2012

Isabel Murillo -Traductora - A sequel

My dear Oscar, Agreed that perhaps I overstepped the line of etiquette and good manners for which I apologize willingly. No skin off my back.
Your comment on the indefinite article "A" applies to the English language, and not to Spanish. Check and see how many dictionaries and histories in Spanish commence with "Una historia de los Reyes Católicos...", or "Un diccionario del inglés moderno..."
You are right again in saying that translators are poorly paid and must rush through the text in order to make a decent income. Also, publishers have the last say, of course. Still we must protest and defend our rights.
J.M. Coetzee has a nice essay, "Translating Franz Kafka", in his "Stranger Shores", that is very revealing and practical.
But, most important, I probably hurt Murillo's feelings and I tender my heartfelt apologies. Sometimes we lose our cool.
My best wishes,
Delfin

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario