viernes, 6 de octubre de 2017

To finger, to belly, to dog...





Sustantivos de la vida cotidiana que son verbos también y que sorprenden a los hablantes de otros idiomas.
En principio, y en inglés actual, todo  sustantivo puede convertirse en verbo. Las posibilidades son infinitas.
Unos ejemplos:

Dog, perro. My dog likes to play.
To dog, perseguir, seguir, acosar. The idea of going to America has dogged me for years.

Belly, barriga, panza. My husband has a beer belly.
To belly, arrastrarse. The men bellied in the mud to reach safety.

Finger, dedo de la mano. People have ten fingers.
To finger, apuntar con el dedo, hurgar. Jim, do not finger your nose.

Paper, papel. I need a piece of paper to write a note.
To paper, empapelar. I am going to paper the room.

Pencil, lápiz. I have bought two pencils for school.
To pencil, escribir a lápiz. You must pencil this exercise.

Toe, dedo del pie. My big toe hurts.
To toe, tocar con los dedos del pie. Toe the water.

Table, mesa. Tables usually have four legs.
To table, aplazar decisión (US.) They tabled the matter till next week.

Book, libro. Books are expensive.
To book, reservar. I booked two rooms in that hotel.

Hand, mano. My boyfriend has big hands.
To hand, entrgar con la mano. Hand me that dictionary, please.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario