miércoles, 13 de febrero de 2019

Pérez Reverte and the purpose of language


 Image result for pérez reverte


The purpose of language is to communicate. Of course, you will say, we all know that! Sorry, but not everybody seems to know that. Let me explain.

In a recent interview with the Spanish writer Arturo Pérez Reverte, on TV., I was trying hard to make out what he was saying, mumbling or speaking through his teeth. I think I missed 70 percent of what he was saying. He is a native speaker of Spanish, a good and prolific writer and he does not mince words. I like him. But he does not pronounce clearly.

The purpose of language is to communicate:
So we must speak clearly and distinctly.
Sounds must be uttered with precision.
Haste makes waste: slow down.
Enjoy voicing the sounds of Spanish and English. Both languages have beautiful sounds.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario