lunes, 6 de enero de 2020

A stitch in time...and The Kominsky Method


Image result for the kominsky method

I was watching The Kominsky Method (courtesy of my daughter Lorraine) when, at one point, Michael Douglas, Sandy, says, to his friend Norman "A stitch in time means nine." This proverb I know as "a stitch in time saves nine," meaning that one quick action at the right time will save you lots of work later on. The Spanish version is "Una puntada a tiempo ahorra ciento" with the same meaning. However Sandy Kominsky says "means" instead of "saves." An error from the scriptwriters? A slip of the tongue by Michael Douglas while declaming?
From the above I infer that 1) proverbs people think are a thing of the past are very much alive, and 2) proverbs evolve and change over time due to mutations language is subject to. By the way, I have enjoyed The Kominsky Method a lot. Thank you, Lorraine.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario