sábado, 1 de agosto de 2020

Parkinson´s Law and Language learning

Parkinson's Law (on Steroids): The Single Principle for ...
Professor Parkinson wrote in 1955 that "Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion." We may replace "work" with "study" and get: "Study expands so as to fill the time available for its mastery." Yes, I am referring to procrastination, applied to the study of languages. And that is why setting goals, realistic goals is so crucial to acquiring a second language. Say to yourself: "By July 2021, I will have mastered Hindi well enough to read, write and hold a conversation in it." Then you set yourself, on a daily regular basis, to accomplish that promise.
"I will read Stoker´s Dracula in English by next Monday." "I will watch the series Dead to me, recommended by Lux_Lucy, before next Wednesday." "During August I will keep a diary in English." "I will learn 15 common proverbs in English and Spanish by the 21st of this month." 
We must set a time limit. This is essential, or else time will expand for ever... and ever, and Professor Parkinson´s Law will haunt us for the rest of our lives.     

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario