viernes, 9 de febrero de 2024

SLEEP, DREAMS, AND LANGUAGES



I own Freud´s Interpretation of Dreams but never read it. I never try to interpret my wild, crazy, wacky dreams. However, of late I have been dreaming and holding conversations in different languages. Last night, for instance, I was trying to convince somebody of something in Valenciano. I have not used the language since my mother died about 5 years ago. You have no idea how very well I was expressing myself! A week ago I was delivering a lecture about the nature of language in GERMAN! I was so pleased with myself! While I was discoursing in the Teutonic language I was thinking, in my dream, how proud Dr. Reinkraut, my teacher at Duquesne, would have been. Is my subconscious trying to say something to me? Dream-chatting in either English or Spanish is normal, but German and Valenciano? Is my brain going berzerk? What is the meaning of all this? And why can we speak languages fluently in dreams but not in wakeful life? I will read Elena Lappin, What Language Do I Dream In? A Memoir, which I have just bought from Amazon.   

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario