miércoles, 2 de noviembre de 2022

DISCOVERING A LIBRARY


 

My first encounter with a real Library was at Duquesne University. In Madrid, I was too young to have access to the Biblioteca Nacional and older friends borrowed books for me to read, like Nietzsche's Aurora (Dawn), I recall. So, entering the Library at Duquesne University was a discovery, a deep satisfaction to see so many books on their shelves, at my fingertips. To this day, in a Library -now I visit the Biblioteca Nacional as a researcher-, I feel at home, at peace. I secured a part-time job at Duquesne University Library, (50 cents an hour) granted to me by the Librarian, Mrs. McCann. At odd times, between classes, I would log in for some hours there, cataloging books, microfilming the LC Cards from the Catalog Files, and having first access to all the incoming books to be cataloged and classified. Being a member of the staff, I could borrow all the copies I wanted, and even have access to the titles in the Index Expurgatorius, where Sartre was included then. What a joy! Some summers I spent the month of August working there full-time, a wonderful way to enjoy August and books, and ideas, and discover new writers, philosophers, and historians... which made me feel free and happy.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario