miércoles, 23 de noviembre de 2022

PROFESSOR JAMES A. PARR (1936-2022)


 

James A. Parr and I met, at the University of Pittsburgh, in a class conducted by Dr. Mario Pei, of Columbia University. I was starting my MA studies there as a graduate teaching assistant, and Jim was the holder of a Mellon Fellowship for his doctoral work. Later, he specialized in Spanish for English speakers and I pursued teaching English to Spanish speakers. We both have written many books, and even one together: an edition of Julio Cejador´s La lengua de Cervantes.  He even wrote a prolog to my El laberinto del idioma inglés (2009). Over the years we have met often and corresponded a lot. Our friendship has lasted because, it is my guess, we both have a wry sense of humor that has stood us in good stead till now. Yesterday I learnt of his death in July. For over a year he had not been answering my emails and now I understand why. His departure is a great loss to me and I will miss him. My condolences to his family, to Patricia, his wife, and to the Hispanic Studies community in the United States. 


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario