lunes, 22 de junio de 2020

Evidentemente and TV

Amazon.com: Drive Medical Bariatric Heavy Duty Crutches, Gray ...


Crutches and fillers are words or expressions people use in their oral communications although they add nothing of value to what is being said. "Uh, er, you know, you know what I mean, ok, right, like..." and many more, which are very distracting and often irritating.
Probably these occur in every known language and form part of speech, for reasons unknown. Spanish has "¿sabes?, ¿me entiendes?, ¿sabe usted? (shortened to sausté)" and others. Of late TV has given free reign to "evidentemente" and adopted by politicians, comentators and analysts who sprinkle their empy talk with plenty of this filler.
"El gobierno, evidentemente, sabe lo que hace... Evidentemente la economía va mejor... Y le dijo, evidentemente, que ya nada era igual... Los turistas vienen, evidentemente, en busca de sol..." I often count the number of times I hear this crutch and find that it is used by the same person up to 6 times in a short speech. Change channels if you will, but "evidentemente" will appear again.
It is thought that these fillers are used to "fill" gaps in our speaking, blanks in our thinking... but I differ. They are just bad habits, like picking your nose, biting your nails, scratching your crotch, staring... and must be fought with a vengeance, "con ahínco." When I hear the "evidentemente" my stomach churns and curls, and I lose all faith and interest in the speaker.
Try not to use crutches in either language.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario