jueves, 4 de agosto de 2022

ACADEMIC (VANITY) PUBLISHERS



I am again in pursuit of a Publisher and I know that they are not what they used to be. Before I reach out to them, I read their web page to make sure I am not sending a feeler into a den of thieves. Vanity presses disguise as bona fide enterprises to lure the writer or researcher. Today I perused W.W. Norton´s Web page and saw the number of useless titles they publish. Are they vanity? I read "If you wish to send a letter to an author, please send it to our offices... we will kindly forward it on." This reminds me of the dictum from the Bible: "If the blind lead the blind..." People in the publishing business who don´t know how to write (or is it rite, right?) or even edit. Suck on that! After this, I opened the University of Texas Press, and more of the same except it is piled higher and deeper. Vanity Press again? A certain Alberto Moreiras has been published there, a title that reads like this "Notes from an Ex-Latin Americanist." I am the first to admit that my English (and Spanish, for that matter) has a long way to go, but I find those words ill-put together. So, another academic publisher I must discard. Reading the titles these people publish, I am getting to think they have taken leave of their business senses.  

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario