miércoles, 3 de agosto de 2022

NO IMPORTAR VS NOT TO GIVE



 To express our indifference about what someone does, thinks, or wants, we use the expression "I don´t give..." and here we can add a variety of words like a hoot, two shakes, a damn, a darn, a fuck, a shit, a toss... instead of a simple "I don´t care." Why does language do that? To show different degrees of our indifference and reaction. There is a difference between "I don´t give a hoot" and "I don´t give a fuck." 

In Spanish for "no importar" we will add, for emphasis, "un rábano, pimiento, carajo, bledo, comino, ardite, cuerno, pepino, pito, una mierda, tres puñetas, tres cojones" There is a difference between "no me importa un pimiento" and "no me importa un carajo." 

All those tags add degrees of indifference, relationship with the speaker, emotional state, also variety, and glamour (?). 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario