martes, 11 de julio de 2023

A LEXICOGRAPHER´S JOURNEY: CREATING A BILINGUAL PHRASEOLOGICAL DICTIONARY


 
In composing my bilingual phraseological dictionary, I often find my resolution and firmness of purpose faltering. After over four years of daily toiling, even in poor health and while dealing with technical issues and hospital visits, I sometimes conclude that I am wasting my time. But as a dedicated lexicographer, I approach my trade with utmost seriousness, meticulously checking and double-checking every idiom I encounter.
 A bilingual dictionary must offer exact equivalents in both languages, and paraphrasing is not acceptable. A case in point today has led me to compare two phrases, in English and Spanish, that are never seen together in bilingual dictionaries: "A (según) mi leal saber y entender" and "according to my lights." In both cases, we suggest that there´s the possibility of our being mistaken in our acts or opinions. Both phrases convey the idea that there´s a recognition of the potential for error in our actions or opinions.  Examples in both languages:
-"I did what I understood to be my duty, according to my lights."
-"She said that she did her best according to her lights."
-"He escrito el informe según mi leal saber y entender."
-"Ha actuado, dice, según su leal saber y entender."



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario