jueves, 29 de agosto de 2024

JOE CORRIOLS AND LANGUAGE MIXING



My aversion to language mixing may stem from listening to my across-the-way neighbor on the North Side of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Joseph (Joe) Corriols was very kind to me and was always ready to show me the historical sites of Pittsburgh and its environs. He was a chatterbox and explained all in minute detail but in some sort of hybrid language that threw me into a spin. "This is Old Economy Village que tiene 17 buildings located en el pueblo de Ambridge, que quiere decir American Bridge, que es una acerería very important en esta parte de Pennsylvania. Se fundó the village in 1824, as a sort of commune by a grupo religiosos protestante y ahora I'm going to take you para que veas the Cathedral of Learning, de la University of Pittsburgh, que se contruyó, in 1928 and which looks like a medieval catedral."  This way of speaking exhausted me and I never knew what language to use in my questions or comments. Joe was born in the US to Spanish parents and studied in Madrid for a while. His way of speaking to me was very confusing and tiring. To this day, many years later, I still dislike language mixing. His father, José Corriols Sala (1877-1971), never approved.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario