sábado, 15 de agosto de 2020

The heart in Language

 The Truth About Your Heart

In 2018 Marilyn Yalom published "An Unconventional History of Love," and later gave a TED talk entitled "How the Image of the Heart Became the Symbol of Love." I recommend both. 

The heart has entered the English language through many expressions of daily use, dealing not only with love:

1) He is a man after my own heart: He has the same tastes and views as me. 

2) I am still eating my heart out because she left me: I am still sad, longing for and missing her.

3) She broke the engagement because she had a change of heart: She changed her opinion, her mind.

4) The troops lost heart and ran away: The troops became discouraged and afraid.

5) I am telling you this from the bottom of my heart: I am telling you sincerely, in all truth.

6) Please, have a heart and help me: Be compasionate, good to me, and help me.

Eat to one´s heart content. Wear one´s heart in one´s sleeve. Have a heart of gold. At heart. Cross one´s heart. Take heart... and many more. 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario