lunes, 24 de agosto de 2020

Tourism in Spain, the Pandemic and the English language

mare-nostrum | Blog Cátedra de Historia y Patrimonio Naval

 I have finally decided to take a few days´vacation on the beach, near Valencia, in Mare Nostrum, with its warm waters. We have rented an AirB&B house. First thing I noticed, everything (warnings, directions, etc.) were written in English. No Spanish, which is fine with me. Next day I noticed that all houses in this old part of the village were B&B... I mean all. And probably the customers came from the UK. But the Brits are not here, the streets are empty, and restaurants and bars, deserted. The result of the Covid pandemic. 

Driving back from supper, all villages appeared as ghost towns. An eerie feeling overtook me. 

This new way of life, of living, will also affect the English language in Spain. Why try and learn a language nobody speaks? Language schools and English-language teachers will have to figure out what to do. 

Mare Nostrum will be the winner. It will recuperate a bit from years of maltreatment by tourists and locals. Every cloud has a silver lining. 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario