viernes, 11 de diciembre de 2020

NETFLIX AND PROPER ENGLISH


 By courtesy of Lorraine Ladish (Vivafifty), I have access to NETFLIX. On and off, I watch SUITS, about a classy law firm. The attorneys there are all Harvard graduates; graduates of other universities need not apply. La crème de la crème. These attorneys-at-law look down on other law schools in the country, and they say so constantly. All fine and dandy but, for the life of me, I cannot understand how these uppity, snobbish, high-and-mighty lawyers can say, again and again: "Like I was saying...", "Like I said..." as if they belonged to an intellectual low class. "One another" is not in their vocabulary, but "each other" is used constantly. "The three of us must help each other" which means they love to cross legal and linguistic lines, to show the riffraff who they are. "Can I come in?" is standard in SUITS, instead of the old-world "May I come in?" 

Some may (can?) argue that those "errors" are becoming normal linguistic fare. But, for the love of God, these are haughty Harvard graduates. Or perhaps Harvard no longer is what it used to be?      

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario