miércoles, 4 de agosto de 2021

LANGUAGE INTERFERENCE



 I´m worried. I have just noticed that my last post, written in Spanish, ends with a sentence in English. This sentence slipped in unawares, and I had not done that on purpose. It is as if my Spanish had missed a beat and jumped a groove. This is terrifying because I have reached an age where the least mental mishap is felt like an omen of decrepitude. Am I losing grip on my linguistic powers? Are English and Spanish vying for command and trying to suppress the other? Will I end up babbling inconsistencies in both languages at the same time? My few hairs stand on end, pero creo que... no, no, vade retro, Spanish, I am writing in English. Perhaps Freud was right when he said that language is the first to be affected when someone is mentally tired. I should perhaps take a break and listen to Brahms... Aimez vous Brahms? (Françoise Sagan certainly did!)

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario