viernes, 3 de marzo de 2023

PROCRASTINAR - PROCRASTINATE



I hold Olympic Medals in Procrastination, so much so that I even procrastinate procrastination. I get a kick out of putting tasks off and the Spanish side of my culture and education enjoys this attitude, even though the other side chides me about it all the time. Of late I have discovered that the word "procrastinar", from the Latin procrastinare, is gaining relevance due to the influence of the English "to procrastinate." Few Spaniards know the word and it does not appear in the word bank CORDE (RAE). My Diccionario de uso del español de América y España does not list it. María Moliner does, defining it as "aplazar." CREA, the RAE word bank gives us only one example of usage: "... la falta de perseverancia y el hábito nocivo de procrastinar son indicios claros de..." (Miguel Ángel Ruiz, Sugerencias para aprender a exponer en público, 2003, Perú.) In this case, English is helping revive a Spanish word nobody in Spain seems to know or admit exists. Perhaps Spaniards will someday admit that procrastination is the name of the game in Spain (Cf. Larra and his "vuelva usted mañana.")

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario