martes, 14 de marzo de 2023

WHY WE SHOULD READ OUT LOUD





 In my earlier post, I urged you to read out loud, both the language you are endeavoring to master and your own. But as these posts must be short, I failed to explain why we should read out loud. 
Language is sound, sound with meaning. The sounds of a language are made by means of vocal cords, lips, tongue, alveolar ridges, teeth, and nose. All must be trained to be in an exact position to make a certain sound. The position of the tongue when we produce a /t/ in English is not the position of the tongue in Spanish when we make the /t/ sound. (Cf. Tiempo and time.) And this is why I believe that we must train ourselves in producing sounds in context by reading out loud, not shouting, but in a whisper, lest those around you think you are losing your marbles. 
No need to say that I presume you have been trained in phonetics. Of course.  

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario