viernes, 24 de marzo de 2023

THE END DRAWS NIGH



This morning, at 8 o´clock, I was aroused from my slumbers by the front doorbell. It was the Fuller Brush man. He knows I am a client but not today because I am traveling to Philly, to visit the Spanish Consulate.  
After packing a few personal items -I like to travel light- I set off to the Pennsylvania Turnpike. Soon I could see a barn embellished with a Chew Mailpouch Tobacco, treat yourself to the best sign. I have never chewed tobacco but this sign has remained in my memory all these years, proving that if you repeat something, it sticks. Farther on I read a short message on another barn: Burma Shave, preceded by its rhyming verses in several other barns. Tired, I stop at a Howard Johnson´s restaurant for a cup of coffee and to stretch my legs. Before reaching Philadelphia I stop at a Chevron gas station to refill. Finally, I enter the city of brotherly love. End of my journey! 
Recalling all those names makes me feel that the end is drawing nigh.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario