lunes, 23 de diciembre de 2019

Everyday expressions caught in time


Image result for it never fails

There are many expressions, sentences, idioms, turns of phrase, used in daily conversation which dictionaries are not aware of. One such is: "It never fails." "It never fails: when I forget my umbrella home, it rains." A Spanish speaker would say: "Es matemático, cuando me dejo el paraguas en casa, llueve." Another one is the common "it serves you right!" "Your husband left you? It serves you right for trusting him so much." "¿Tu marido te ha dejado? Te lo tienes merecido por confiar tanto en él." "A lick and a promise" is a favorite of mine: "She gives a lick and a promise to her bedroom and rushes to work." "Arregla su habitación por encima encima y sale corriendo para la oficina." In other words: cleaning or fixing somethin in haste and poorly done. "Footloose and fancy free" is the person who has no romantic attachments, no ties, and is, therefore, happy as a lark. "Libre como los pájaros y sin ataduras..." I am not free, and to boot I have creditors close on my heels, pisándome los talones, to collect, para cobrar. But I will give them the slip. les daré esquinazo, y no cobrarán.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario