miércoles, 20 de julio de 2022

SPEAKING AND FENCING



Yesterday I was trying to converse in French with a native speaker who spoke neither English nor Spanish. I felt like I was fencing with a swordsman with a regular foil, while mine was half the Olympic acceptable length. I kept saying "touché" all the time, while my opponent was at ease and very satisfied. A sigh of relief on my part ended the conversation. The native speaker said many things, in many different ways, while I was corseted with my limited language. What an effort! I ended up exhausted!  I was even physically tired. I guess it´s a matter of practice (practice makes perfect!) and this will happen to the best of us. Bear this in mind when you switch to a foreign tongue and do not worry. 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario