lunes, 3 de octubre de 2022

MY CHILDREN AND ENGLISH


 

My daughter Lorraine is visiting from Sarasota, Florida. One aspect of our relationship that strikes people around us is that we communicate through English. For some strange reason, our acquaintances, neighbors, and relations find this peculiar. Years ago, when we settled in Madrid we decided to switch from the Spanish I was trying to teach them in the States, to the English I wanted her, and her sister, to keep up and not forget. A lot of water has gone under the bridge and a lot of waxing and waning has occurred in our lives, but after so long we keep speaking to each other in English. We have never exchanged a word in Spanish, and we will keep this up till I cash in my chips. I cannot understand why people find this peculiar. I suppose that if I had remained in the States, Spanish now would be our means of communication. Through our stubbornness, all my children speak two languages with ease. I believe this is an example to follow. 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario