domingo, 31 de diciembre de 2023

A LANGUAGE LEARNER - A CASE HISTORY


 

Recently, I was approached by a former student who has become a friend, inquiring about the possibility of me teaching his current wife. Due to my connection with him and his family, I could not refuse and asked him to have her call me. I always insist on a prior meeting to assess the character and personality of potential learners. Time and experience have turned me into a rather good judge of character. Somewhat reluctantly, I decided to meet with her twice a week. I provided my grammar book 1 for a quick review of the basics. After two weeks, Mrs. X decided to meet only once a week because she was very busy at work. She did mention that she works out three times a week, lifting weights and playing tennis. After a month, she was sick one day, had several business meetings on another, and also had a business trip. Eventually, I gave up asking her to do some studying and homework. What we do in class is what we get. I find this attitude very daunting and hard to take. Is she really interested in learning English? Perhaps the Bible is right: Many are called but few are chosen.    

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario