martes, 3 de enero de 2023

NATIVE SPEAKERS AND LIMITED VOCABULARY


 

A while ago I took a weird, online vocabulary test and the result was that my vocabulary in English was about 22,000 words. I wish I had such a large vocabulary! I guess that, at most, I own around eight thousand English words. This debate about the number of words speakers have has been going on for a while and despite technological advances, we are still in the dark. My (un)educated guess is that most native speakers handle a handful of terms and phrases and repeat them over and over. The problem is not with their vocabulary but their ideas, conceits, and thoughts which, always being the same, drape them in the same words. They have little new to say and need not new terminology. If you wish to expand your vocabulary you will have to read and check all the words you ignore or you are not sure of.   

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario