lunes, 23 de octubre de 2023

AGUAS AND DUST AND THE I.Q. OF ChatGPT



 I often feel very discouraged when composing my PHRASEOLOGICAL DICTIONARY, in English and Spanish. Over four years, several hours a day, trying to figure out how to parallel expressions in both languages, is a daunting experience, especially for me, endowed with a rather limited I.Q. But today, somehow, I feel more cheerful about the whole business and have been playing, taunting, poor old ChatGPT, having fun, and chuckling at the weird occurrences of that AI. (We are still waiting to be told the exact I.Q. of the Intelligence of ChatGPT.) Look up in any dictionary or in ChatGPT or in Google Translate the following idiomatic expressions, independently, in either language, and you´ll see what I mean.  

Cuando (que) las aguas vuelvan a su cauce When dust settles

Cuando la guerra en Ucrania termine, cuando las aguas vuelvan a su cauce, visitaré Kiev When the war in Ukraine ends, when the dust settles, I will visit Kiev

“… prefieren esperar, haciendo como si nada, esperando que las aguas vuelvan a su cauce.” Lola Beccaria, La luna en Jorge, 2001. Esp. 

When dust settles Cuando las aguas vuelvan a su cauce

When the war in Ukraine ends, when the dust settles, I will visit Kiev Cuando la guerra en Ucrania termine, cuando las aguas vuelvan a su cauce, visitaré Kiev

“When the dust settles, we´ll know not only the death toll but…” Ian Katz et al., The Guardian Year, 2001. UK.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario