domingo, 1 de octubre de 2023

IN THE COLD LIGHT OF DAY (1)


 
Ya sabemos que la fraseología propia de un idioma, de cualquier idioma, presenta complejos retos y que por eso se debe aprender de memoria o consultar diccionarios de prestigio que nos guiarán y explicarán el significado. Este es el caso del modismo inglés "in the cold light of the day" que no es "en la fría luz del día." El Cambridge English Dictionary nos explica: "If you think about something in the cold light of day, you think about it clearly and calmly, without the emotions you had at the time it happened... " Y nos da el ejemplo: "The next morning, in the cold light of day, Sarah realized what a complete idiot she had been."
"I was a bit drunk and very enthusiastic, and I told her I loved her, but in the cold light of day I realized my mistake."

"Seemed like a good idea to purchase at the time, but in the cold light of day, what on earth was I thinking?" (Tim Healing, Three Men in a Niva, 2007.)

"However, in the cold light of day, this hope seems fragile." 


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario