martes, 28 de diciembre de 2021

BAILAR CON LA MÁS FEA,





Languages at large often have shocking expressions that become more preposterous as humanity makes forward strides in social and gender equality. "Bailar con la más fea" which I translate as getting the short end of the stick, is a point in question. "No sé por qué, pero a mí siempre me toca bailar con la más fea", I don´t know why but I always get the short end of the stick. We all want to dance with the pretty girl, but this guy´s tough luck forces him to dance with the "fea", the ugly one. Women didn´t have this problem because they were asked out to dance and could refuse the man who was inviting them. The expression was: "May I have the pleasure of this dance?" "¿Me permite el placer de este baile?" "La fea" was a sure bet because she never refused the request. I am not sure, but I guess that Spanish-speaking women never use this idiomatic turn of phrase. I wonder why! 
 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario