miércoles, 31 de mayo de 2017

The Word Detective by John Simpson


Image result for dr. john simpson

I have come across The Word Detective, Searching for the meaning of it all at the Oxford English Dictionary written by Dr. John Simpson, former (until 2013) Chief Editor of the Dictionary. I recomend this book to all, especially to those who are trying to master the English language and enjoy it. It is indeed a wonderful read, and as the taste is in the pudding, go order it and read it. You will thank me, I know.
Dr. John Simpson is an expert on English proverbs and as such, I had the audacity of asking him to prologue one of my bilingual dictionaries of proverbs. And he was kind enough to write a wonderful preface to my book in which he supports my efforts at parallel lexicography, English and Spanish.
Parallel lexicography is the poor relative of lexicography. Perhaps this is so because publishers ignore the basics of language and entrust the compilation of bilingual lexicons to people who are half baked intellectually and linguistically.
This entry is both to thank Dr. Simpson again for his words to my book and also to recomend his The Word Detective.
Dr. Simpson, I treasure your prologue.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario