domingo, 17 de septiembre de 2023

CHATGPT AND TRANSLATIONS



My daughter Lorraine informed me that ChatGPT also offered translation services. Being the way I am -I just can´t help it- I rushed to put that service to the test, rather more of a medieval ordeal, hell and high water. Why? Because I am mischievous, I wanted to make it tough on the program and feed it idiomatic expressions and idioms in English and Spanish. The result, as I expected, was poor, to say the least. 
For "verse a la legua" ChatGPT offers this: "Verse a la legua in English translates as to be seen from a mile away or to be obvious at a glance. It is an idiomatic expression used to describe something that is easily noticeable, apparent, or obvious from  distance or at first sight." In my Phraseological Dictionary, I offer the right equivalent: "Stand (stick) out a mile. Stand out like a sore thumb.
Another example: "The equivalent expression in Spanish for there´s no crying over spilt milk is: no hay que llorar sobre la leche derramada." Muerto el burro, la cebada al rabo, I say, and further a lo hecho, pecho.
No need to continue, para muestra vale un botón, an example is enough. 
Chat GPT is not going to solve our expert and serious translation problems. At least, not yet.

  

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario