domingo, 23 de junio de 2024

WING


 
Clip someone’s wings Cortarle las alas a uno

We must clip David’s wings so that he stops acting up Tenemos que cortarle las alas a David para que deje de portarse mal

“... just clipped his wings a little, that’s all.” A. Gay, The Brooch of Azure Midnight, 1993. UK.

Give wings to Dar alas a

His father gave him wings and now David is I jail Su padre le dio alas y ahora David está en la cárcel

“Make me a bird too, Daddy, let me give wings to your heart.” The Kenyon Review, vol. 18, 1996. US.

On a wing and a prayer A ver qué pasa, a ver si cuela, esperando lo mejor

I have handed the teacher my poor paper on a wing and a prayer He dado mi redacción mal hecha al profesor a ver qué pasa

“… held together by hope and launched on a wing and a prayer.” The Times, Nov., 22, 2023. UK.

Take someone under one’s wing Proteger, tomar bajo la protección de uno

I’ll take him under my wing, don’t worry Yo le protegeré, no te preocupes

“Raul revealed how English-speaking Luis Figo has taken David Beckham under his wing as Real Madrid’s tour of the Far East began on Friday.” Ireland Online, 25 Jul 2003. Ir.

Try one’s wings Hacer pinitos

Now that my French is a bit better, I’m going to try my wings translating Balzac Ahora que mi francés es un poco major voy a hacer pinitos traduciendo a Balzac

“Like, I needed to try my wings solo, put myself out there…” Jonatan Coeh, SPIN, Nove., 23, 2023. UK.

Wait in the wings Estar a la espera

David is waiting in the wings to take my place when I retire David está a la espera para ocupar mi sitio cuando me jubilee

“… grifters wait in the wings to devour any scrap of validation…” TechCrunch, (COCA), 2019. US.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario