domingo, 21 de julio de 2024

OUR PERSONAL VOCABULARY



In languages, we all have our private vocabulary. There are words we use all the time that we prefer to others. Active vocabulary is called in academic jargon. We understand many phrases and words but never use them. only when we read or hear them. Professional linguists refer to these as passive vocabulary. Example: I often hear now the term "dude"  which my Random House dictionary defines as 1. A man excessively concerned with his clothes, grooming, and manners. 2. Slang: fellow, chap. It dates its origins as American, 1880-85. I have never used the word, and it is not in my active vocabulary. Why? I couldn't tell. I dislike the word and never heard it in my youth. Another example: "vale" as the Peninsular equivalent of ok is alien to my Spanish idiom. I have never used it and never will. I hear it gazillions in a given day. Very irritating. Why do I persevere in saying "supper" when everybody prefers "dinner"? 

The concept of a private vocabulary is indeed fascinating. Each of us has a unique set of words and phrases we prefer, often shaped by personal experiences, cultural background, and social influences. This private vocabulary reflects our individual identities and can sometimes set us apart from others. 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario