viernes, 11 de octubre de 2024

THE STORY OF A PHRASEOLOGICAL DICTIONARY - ENGLISH-SPANISH



When I was a Graduate Teaching Assistant at the University of PittsburghDr. Mario Pei, Mellon Visiting Professor, a renowned linguist, and expert on comparative linguistics, asked me to write a paper on English-Spanish idioms. Later, at Scranton University, I expanded that work and compiled many index cards, which I took, in files, to Franklin and Marshall College, where I joined the Modern Language Department. When I moved to Madrid, all those cards were left behind and later lost in a fire. In 1995 Ediciones del Serbal published my A Phraseological Dictionary, English-Spanish, 383 pp. with the aid of an IBM PC1 computer. I was not wholly satisfied and wanted to rewrite it and make it a complete work on comparative phraseology, and in 2020 I found time to roll up my sleeves, spit on my hands, and finish the task once and for all. Now, with 34,000 idioms, 68,000 usage examples in both languages, 7,000 citations, and 1.530 pages, I am confident I have compiled the ultimate bilingual phraseological Dictionary. The final step is to find the right publisher who can bring this work to a wide audience. 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario