QUOTATIONS, MISQUOTATIONS AND MISATTRIBUTIONS


 “There is no problem that the mind of man can set, that the mind of man cannot solve.”

I have always attributed this quotation to Dr. Samuel Johnson; however, it seems I was wrong. I have been unable to authenticate it from Johnson’s writings. Where, then, did I get it from?

Google led me to Dr. Terence Meaden’s CV, in which he attributes these very words to Dr. Johnson. Misquotations abound, as do misattributions, but what are we to do about them? Must we double-check every quotation we encounter for the first time?

I suggest that, when we cannot trace a quotation to its original source, we should at least identify the source from which we have taken it. In this case, we might write: “As Dr. Terence Meaden attributes it to Dr. Johnson in his online CV: ‘There is no problem that the mind of man can set that the mind of man cannot solve.’”

It is not proof that Johnson said it, of course. But at least we are being honest about our source. Is that not preferable to perpetuating a possibly spurious attribution?

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

LAS NALGAS Y SUS SINÓNIMOS COLOQUIALES

ALBERTO NÚÑEZ FEIJOO Y EL IDIOMA INGLÉS

SUFIJO -ABLE EN INGLÉS